RS Components Privacy Statement
The purpose of this privacy statement is to explain how we handle personal information about our job applicants and to explain the rights that they have under data protection law. In this privacy statement, we refer to this type of information as “Recruitment Information”.
This privacy statement applies to applications submitted via our careers website (jobs.rscomponentscareers.com) and third parties, such as recruitment agencies and job boards. It also applies to applications submitted via other means, such as by post and email.
“RS Components” means RS Components Ltd (registered address : Birchington Road, Weldon, Corby , Northamptonshire NN17 9RS) and any of its subsidiaries and affiliates, as existing from time to time. RS Components is also referred to in this privacy statement as “we”, “us” or “our”.
What Recruitment Information does RS Components collect?
We will generally only collect Recruitment Information in the recruitment process that is necessary to assess you for the position for which you have applied. This may include the following categories of information:
• Application information: This information will generally tell us who you are and help build a picture of your capabilities and suitability for certain positions. This type of information may include your name, contact information, current company, information contained in your CV (e.g. professional qualifications, previous employment history, place of residence, current base compensation, additional bonuses and/or commission and personal interests and experiences), information contained in your social media accounts or personal websites or accounts (e.g. LinkedIn or Twitter), information about the type of work and projects you have been involved with and any other information you may wish to provide to us as part of your application.
• Recruitment process information: This is information collected as a result of the recruitment process, such as your performance at interview and information provided by your referees.
• Future opportunities information: This is information collected in order to keep in touch with you about future job opportunities at RS Components, such as your name, email, LinkedIn profile, location, field of expertise and the kind of role you are interested in.
Personal information about criminal convictions or medical information will only be sought where permitted by applicable law.
We generally receive Recruitment Information either (a) directly from you (for instance when you provide information as part of your application or during the recruitment process) or (b) from third parties (for instance from recruitment agencies). We will indicate where the information we have requested is mandatory or optional. We will also explain the consequences should you decide not to provide information which we have indicated is mandatory. In some circumstances this may mean we are unable to process your application.
How does RS Components use my Recruitment Information?
The main purposes for which we use your Recruitment Information include:
• Supporting and Processing your Application, for example, so we can assess your ability to meet the job specification, in order to shortlist applicants and to verify references and professional qualifications provided by applicants.
• Improving our Application Process, for example to ensure that our careers website is user-friendly and contains appropriate and helpful information.
• Security Management, for example to ensure the security of our premises, assets, information, employees and other personnel.
• Legal and Regulatory Compliance, for example to ensure compliance with health & safety requirements and other legal or fiscal obligations, or in connection with litigation or an internal investigation or audit and to ensure compliance with our policies regarding anti-money laundering, bribery and corruption, as well as equal opportunities monitoring.
• Future Vacancies, if we think you may be suitable for a future role.
We may verify the Recruitment Information you provide during the recruitment process and/or collect personal information about you from third party sources to assist with our “Pre-Employment Checks”. If this occurs:
• You will be told in advance which aspects of your Recruitment Information will be verified including an explanation of how the Pre-Employment Checks will be carried out.
• Information about criminal convictions (if collected) or medical information will only be collected through official authorised sources and in accordance with applicable law.
Where it is necessary and appropriate for the role you have applied for, we may also require you to undertake drug and alcohol testing prior to commencing your employment with us.
We will only process your Recruitment Information where we have a legal basis for doing so. Generally, we will be processing it to help us to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you. At other times, we will be processing your Recruitment Information because you have consented to us doing so. In which case you can withdraw such consent at any point. We may also process your Recruitment Information to comply with our legal obligations or because it is in our legitimate business interests to do so (for example, where it is necessary to understand our applicants in sufficient detail so we can operate an effective recruitment process).
Who is my Recruitment Information shared with?
(a) Within RS Components
We restrict access to Recruitment Information to people within the RS Components group of companies who have a “need to know” such information. For example, certain individuals within RS Components will have access to your Recruitment Information in order to process your application and manage the recruitment process (this may include individuals in our Human Resources team and individuals to whom you would report if your application is successful).
(b) Outside RS Components
We share Recruitment Information with authorised third party service providers to conduct and manage the recruitment process. For example, we may share your Recruitment Information with such service providers in order to conduct screening and verification of your application and the information you have provided to us. This includes verifying academic and professional qualifications. Generally, we will only disclose your Recruitment Information to our suppliers and other third parties in the following circumstances:
• when required to do so by law;
• in response to a legitimate request for assistance by the police or other law enforcement agency; and/or
• to seek legal advice from our external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party.
Where does RS Components store my Recruitment Information?
The RS Components Group is a global group of companies, and RS also uses service providers based around the world. Consequently, your personal information may be processed in countries outside of Europe, including in countries where you may have fewer legal rights in respect of your information than you do under local law. If we transfer personal data outside the European Economic Area we will, as required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards. Please contact us if you would like more information about these safeguards.
How long will RS Components keep my Recruitment Information?
We keep your Recruitment Information in accordance with our internal retention policies and procedures. Typically, if you are unsuccessful in your application with us (or if you reject the position), we will keep your Recruitment Information for 12 months. We may keep your application for a longer period if we think you may be suitable for another position within RS Components. You can let us know at any time if you would prefer us not to retain your information for this purpose.
Exercising your rights
You may have the right to request access to (including in machine-readable format), rectification or erasure of, the Recruitment Information we hold about you. You may also have the right to object to or restrict certain types of processing of your Recruitment Information.
If you notice an error in your application that you would like to correct, please contact us using the contact information below.
Any request to exercise one of these rights will be assessed by us on a case by case basis. There may be circumstances in which we are not legally required to comply with your request or because of relevant legal exemptions provided for in applicable data protection legislation.
Please contact us at RHR.ServiceCentre@rs-components.com if you would like to find out more about any matters relating to this privacy statement.
If you have concerns about the way in which we have handled your Recruitment Information you should contact us at RHR.ServiceCentre@rs-components.com in the first instance. If you are still dissatisfied, you have the right to complain to your Data Protection Authority. In the UK, the Data Protection Authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may change this privacy statement from time to time in order to reflect changes in the law, regulatory guidance or our data privacy practices in compliance with the law. When this happens and where required by law, we will provide you with a new or an updated notice and, if necessary, obtain your consent for the further processing.
This Privacy Statement was last updated in April 2018