Head of Client Engineering
Corby, United Kingdom
- Job ID 01RFO
- Closing date N/A
Job Title – Head of Client Engineering
Location – Corby (fully remote working available)
As the Head of Client Engineering you will lead and act in a senior capacity within the software engineering organisation. Creating empowered teams who can work autonomously, delivering at pace and relish taking full ownership of their deliverables.
You will drive and define the culture, capabilities, team structure and the technical competencies to deliver against business and functional requirements.
What you will enjoy doing to be successful in this role
- You will be accountable for all technical design & delivery of engineering practice within a Client Engineering and digital experience domain.
- Creating an environment of collaboration between product, engineering practice and agile teams for the design and build of changes within and across the digital experience domain.
- Communicating effectively to ensure teams are clear of the business strategic objectives and their contribution
- Working with other leaders to set and develop the standards for Software Engineering
- You will be accountable for creating a high performing team empowering engineers & engineering leads with opportunities for growth and development
What you will need to be successful in this role
- Proven leadership experience in a technical environment.
- Technical and business acumen to jointly lead the practice with the Senior Product Owners and Heads of Engineering.
- Ability to guide multi-disciplinary technical teams in an agile environment
- Have an Agile & DevOps mindset.
- Experience interacting at all levels across various countries and cultures; excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Talented and effective communicator at all levels and in all mediums.
- Experience in creating and developing brilliant engineering teams.
- Examples of the journey from monolithic architectures to microservices.
- Understanding of the pros and cons, and operational challenges, of operating with distributed systems.
- Experience and expertise in cloud native strategies and continuous delivery.
- Advocacy of test automation and delivery pipelines.
- Familiar with event driven architectures.
- Collaborative style – leading empowered technical teams.
- All-round technologist with T-Shaped skills spanning omni-channel digital delivery, middleware through to back end product information management and supply chain technologies.
- Set standards for security engineering best practice and challenges of working with PII data.
Strong leadership drives tangible benefits for our business and is core to our success. Our Amazing Leaders are required to show their passion for our people, customers and suppliers. They must act with humility to create an environment where our people can make amazing happen and they will demonstrate trust by leading by example by taking accountability and ownership.
The good stuff
Innovators and pioneers. Rebels and creators. A global organization of optimists and specialists with big ambitions for the future. You can take control of your future here at RS. We offer all the benefits you’d expect to receive in a progressive global business.
We recognise that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone. In this role, we can confidently offer the following flexible working patterns:
- Working remotely - from home or any other work location
- Working flexibly - flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive. If you need some flexibility, please just ask us and we’ll be happy to discuss it with you.
Grow in our learning and inclusive culture and be rewarded for your success. Whoever you are, whatever you do and wherever you are; it all starts here. Are you ready to explore the possibilities?
We are RS
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture where our people get to bring their true self work every day and thrive. We recognise that a diverse and representative workforce is critical to our success, and our aim is to create a business where people can be their best selves. Our employees expect this as a matter of course and it is fundamental to how we attract, develop, and hold on to the best talent.
We recruit and develop employees who are the best suited to the requirements of the job role, regardless of gender, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We believe everyone should be able to bring their true self to work and be given the opportunities to succeed. If you require any adjustments during this process to ensure you can bring your true self, please let us know.
We recognise that we’re not perfect when it comes to being a truly diverse organisation yet. However, we are passionate about diversity and are proactively working to build an organisation where everyone can see themselves succeed here.
Increasingly powered by digital technology, we’re our customers’ one-stop-shop for electronic products and industrial components. We began in a north-west London garage supplying spare parts to radio repair shops back in 1937 and we’ve kept transforming for over 80 years. Today, we’re using digital globally to revolutionise the way we do business and strengthen our position as the people engineers turn to for help, advice and knowledge.
We’re proud of what we’ve done, but we’re not sitting back. We’re always looking to make the customer experience simpler, faster and easier. We’re transforming markets and the impact of technology. We’ve widened our services portfolio with innovations from procurement and inventory solutions to 24/7 product support.
We’ve been on an incredible journey, but the best is yet to come; are you ready to join us?
Characteristics for success
We are a transforming business. And we’re growing to serve and inspire our customers even more. To forge a successful career here, you’ll need to:
- Take the initiative
- Think differently
- Become the best
- Focus on people
- Work together
We encourage people to take the initiative, think differently and become the best they can be.
We’re trusted to make the right decisions, do the right thing and work autonomously.
We talk and listen to each other, build relationships and tap into the minds of experts.
We welcome new ideas whoever they come from – and encourage others to champion them.
In the 18 years I’ve been here, tech has always been changing to become better. The new team structure has gained momentum over the last 2 years with heavy investment in technology and infrastructure. It is a great working environment with very capable engineers and genuinely nice people.Neil Latta, Lead Java Developer
Rewards and benefits
As well as a competitive salary, you can look forward to a valuable set of benefits, depending on your location, that look after your financial and physical wellbeing. These include:
A great culture that encourages you to think differently and grow as part of a team that communicates freely, listens closely and supports each other
We’ll do everything we can to help you work in a way that works for you, just ask the question
An opportunity to buy up to an additional week’s holiday each year
Experience access to a fantastic array of online shopping discounts catering for your passions, hobbies or lifestyle
Great career development
Opportunities to move where your passion takes you
Bonus and pension
Schemes that reward your hard work, secure your future and push you to be at your very best. Helping us achieve both your goals and ours, together
For digital dreamers and tech innovators
Work with a rich ecosystem of websites, delivering solutions and improving functuationality on a daily basis. You’ll have the opportunity to influence the development of our customers’ user experience, and make it the best in the industry. Join us in our journey to revolutionise the way we do business and strengthen our position as the destination for electronic products and components.